Travel in Wimmer’s Day

Published by Saint Vincent Archabbey Public Relations on

Wimmer Wednesday. I left Munich on March 27 after congratulating Abbot Rupert of Scheyern and receiving 200 florins from him for my travel expenses. The confreres there were very kind. At 4:00 pm, I was in Lindau, at 6:00 pm across Lake Constance in Rohrschach, and at 8:00 pm in St. Gallen. On March 28 at 6:00 am, I was in Einsiedeln and immediately offered holy Mass for myself and our entire house in the chapel of the miraculous Madonna. The same on Thursday and Friday. On Friday afternoon, the abbot took me to Brunnen on Lake Lucerne. There I offered holy Mass on Saturday with Father Karl Brandeis, who accompanied me. I took a steamer on Lake Lucerne at 8:00 am to Flüelen and the mail coach from there over the St. Gotthard Pass. There was no snow in Bavaria but plenty in Switzerland. We soon had to take sleds, and at first only four-seaters, to Andermatt, where we arrived around 3:00 pm.

Surrounded by glaciers, this is a frightening place in the winter. We had a fine meal of wild snow grouse and excellent wine for three francs. From there we had only a two-seater, that is, we sat facing each other. The driver sat in front, half way up, one foot stretched out in order to prevent tipping. Our six sleds zigzagged up frightening heights over very deep snow. Other sleds came down meeting us, which was very difficult. We went down so fast that we often shuddered with fright. At 6:00 pm, we were already at the foot of the Airolo. There we again took wagons. At noon, we were in Bellinzona, at 1:25 pm in Magadino, at 2:00 pm in Arogno, at 4:00 pm in Navara. From there we went by rail and were in Genoa at 10 pm. We left there the next day at 8:00 am. Then we went on the Castor to Livorno. We stayed from 5:00 am until 4:00 pm. In the evening, we went to Civitavecchia, where we arrived at 5:00 am. At noon we left, and at 12:30 pm, we were in Rome. The weather was nice on the Gotthard Pass, but then it became rainy and cold. There was much snow, and in the Apennines, there is still snow. I slept in a chair on my first night in Rome. Every room was occupied. The next two nights I had a room without a window.

Rome, April 9, 1855